You should probably both share gists of real code you're talking about,
shouldn't you ?

Your discussion made me think that editors may help further in this area,
without having to change the syntax.
Currently, the editors only try to give some "hints" by playing with
colors, but there are some other ideas that could be followed:
- playing with contrast by also using the ability to change the fonts
- playing with contrast by slowly decreasing the font's opacity as the code
gets deeper (but where the cursor is, this should probably go away to
ensure good visibility) => could help see the overall structure without
seeing to much of the details?
- playing with "proximity" by adjusting the line sizes. For example, there
could be extra space around the "true" and "false" clauses of an if, there
could be extra space around "condition/then" clauses of a cond, etc.
- playing with the background color of blocks, potentially minimizing (and
to some extend -in a modal structural editor- almost removing from sight)
the parens

- since it's not the same thing to "write/edit" and to "read" code, there
could be the possibility to have a "read" mode where the editor could
represent totally differently the source code (think it could even present
it in some sort of prefix-notation :-) )