On Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:33:04 PM UTC-5, puzzler wrote:

> I love these ideas.  I think your final comment is especially insightful.
> I have no problem writing Clojure code, I just find it unnecessarily taxing
> to read it.  The idea of separating the two, and possibly having a
> read-mode is an absolutely fascinating idea.  In some sense, Marginalia is
> already a good positive step in this direction.  The first time I ran
> Marginalia on my code I was astonished at how much more readable it was to
> have the comments in a separate column alongside the code, rather than
> interrupting the code itself.  It makes me wonder how many other things
> could have such a positive, dramatic effect.

I think you struck it there, especially wrt marginalia. I've been wanting
for a long time for some kind of code editor where ancillary things like
comments/tests/contracts/examples may be displayed in a more appropriate
manner, so that our code may be the star of our screen, while still being
appropriately accompanied on demand by those
comments/tests/contracts/examples. You're right that putting comments in a
different column (which is scrolled synchronously) helps. Wouldn't be nice
if that column could be replaced anytime with
tests/contracts/examples/etc.? And with a larger monitor, multiple synced
columns could be displayed. That said, to me, it's important that all of
this is still editable at all times. I don't often read my own code in
marginalia for this reason.

Of course, you may just as well tell me that's what emacs allows with its
buffers and swank-clojure & slime. But anyway, emacs' way of doing it is
much more an *on demand* thing, and much less pervasive for now. I feel we
could do quite a bit more with those tools.