On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM, fenton <fenton.trav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I totally understand the value of having a single source of truth (DRY
> principle).  My main problem was that to get from 0-60 for doing clojure
> development is quite challenging.

Which is why the official documentations needs contributions from
folks who've gone thru this process recently... It's a bit of a
chicken and egg situation: if the current docs aren't good enough,
folks go off into the Internet wilderness and try to piece together
the experience themselves. And then what they go thru often doesn't
even come close to what _should_ be in the official documentation as
the simplest solution. And of course we each typically only set up one
machine (our own) so we don't have much incentive to repeat the
process over and over to refine it for the official documentation. I
sympathize with the process you've gone thru. I went thru it too. I
created this document for Emacs + Leiningen on Windows -
http://corfield.org/articles/emacs_win.html - and I have not
publicized it because it's already out of date. And that was the third
time I'd been thru the process: first on Mac, then on Ubuntu, then
Windows XP.

> I had a major piss around trying to get the marmelade repo working.
>  Finally, someone suggested emacs 24, which itself is fairly hard to find
> without a link to alpa.

The kind folks on #clojure on IRC ensured I started with a prerelease
of Emacs 24 which helped. Emacs 24 is now the current stable version,
which makes discovery much easier.

> So say I start at: http://marmalade-repo.org/, well then it says: "Install
> package.el", it doesn't say how to install package.el, so now I gotta google

Yup, that was my initial complaint.

> I still don't know if I
> need both clojure and clojure-contrib in my project.clj files or not.  They
> are different versions, should they be in sync?

Monolithic Clojure Contrib was deprecated when Clojure 1.3 appeared
and is no longer maintained. See
http://dev.clojure.org/display/design/Where+Did+Clojure.Contrib+Go

> I did find myself getting a bit angry writing this, because I'd really like
> to see clojure displace java, but I think its fair to say that there is a
> gap in helping people who have little
> emacs/clojure/leiningen/swank/slime/cdt/lisp exposure getting on board.

Yup. This complaint is very valid and comes up fairly regularly, and
each time the official documentation gets a bit better (but it still
has a long way to go).

> I think github is a better place to document this stuff than confluence.

The Clojure project uses JIRA / Confluence for issue tracking and
documentation - and Github for code. Pull requests are not allowed.
See http://clojure.org/contributing and http://clojure.org/patches -
also see
http://dev.clojure.org/display/doc/Guidelines+for+Clojure+Contrib+committers
for the mechanics of getting onboard as a contributor and getting your
accounts / permissions set up.

We definitely need improvements in the official getting started
documentation. Starting here -
http://dev.clojure.org/display/doc/Getting+Started - any specific
problems / improvements that folks identify will generally get fixed
fairly quickly if they're brought up on this list. There are a couple
of list members who are pretty motivated around improving the "newbie
experience"...
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."