Just saw this thread.  I went through something similar recently: I'm
a long-time emacs user just getting into Clojure, so naturally I set
it up with emacs.  I set it up with Leiningen (a 2.0.0 preview
version), and while I found it relatively painless, I did have a few
problems mostly with Emacs.  I think the stuff about getting
sidetracked with emacs configuration/package-management is pretty
true; it's very easy to get lost in the emacs wilderness, which is
much "hoarier" than Clojure.

I also think that, at present, while coming in through Leiningen is
definitely the most painless way to do things (I'm really loving it
actually, as a Ruby dev it kind of seems like rvm + bundler + rake all
wrapped up in one handy package), trying to navigate whether to use
1.x or 2.x preview is a bit confusing--and the variety of docs
available for setting things up is confusing.  Similarly, it's easy to
get lost (as a beginner) between namespace issues with packages and
how to set things up properly with Leiningen.  It'd be good to have
some documentation on that.

Getting testing up and running with midje was also a bit of a
challenge--I still haven't figured out how to get automated testing
going smoothly in emacs with the nice midje stuff Mr. Marick has
added, but I'll go back and tackle that some day.  At the least, I
finally got testing working via lein.

And at the danger of digressing wildly, as a beginner namespace and
file loading stuff is really hard to wrap my head around, but that
could be my own particular weakness.

All of that said, maybe I'll take a look at the docs and see if I can
add anything constructive, since I've set it up now a few times on
Macs.

In any case, I'm really loving playing with Clojure.  I hope to start
sneaking it into some real applications at work this year, and infect
some other devs with the Clojure bug...

Cheers,
Dave D.