Hi all,

I was looking for a way to:

  * encourage folks to write docs for their Clojure projects
  * make usage examples available (like clojuredocs.org has, but for
general Clojure-related projects)
  * help semi-standardize how Clojure projects are documented

So I made this:

http://www.unexpected-vortices.com/alcove/index.html

("The Alcove" seemed like a nice name for a quiet place to read docs
and examples.)

There are only a few projects listed there so far. If you know of
others you think would benefit from being there (or if you'd like to
write some examples for a project), let me know and I'll add them.

Pages at the alcove are generated from:

  * project README.md (if present) and doc/*.md files (if present)
  * user-submitted examples (.md files in a separate repository ---
one .md file for each project)

Some benefits of this approach:

  * most projects will not have to change they way they set up their
project (most already at least have a README.md file)

  * Markdown is a handsome and easy markup format that the Clojure
community seems to have embraced (used in READMEs; Marginalia uses it;
my understanding is that autodoc may eventually support it).

  * Most folks already know Markdown (it's what github, reddit, and
stackoverflow use), or can pick it up in a few minutes.

  * doesn't tie the community to any one system. You're simply
encouraging authors to create a flat directory of text files in a
top-level doc directory.

  * The alcove-examples repository is just one text file per project.
Nothing that ties anyone to "The Alcove" site.

  * examples files on github means people can see who contributed
which examples; it's fun to see your name in lights. :)

  * the alcove uses Pandoc to render markdown, and so supports some
things that github's markdown does not, such as tables, definition
lists, LaTeX math, and a few other features.

Drawbacks:

  * currently only supports projects on github
  * currently, additions/updates are done manually (via a couple of
scripts and rsync).
  * currently not many projects have a doc directory present
  * currently hosted on my tiny shared hosting site

Questions:

  * do contrib projects belong on the Alcove?
  * will users benefit very much from having example code for projects?
  * will users contribute examples?

Possibilities:

  * possible cooperation with clojuredocs.org? (ex.
"www.clojuredocs.org/alcove/..." ?)
  * possible hosting elsewhere? Perhaps on a more clojure-specific domain?
  * perhaps switch to a more general github username instead of my own?

Opinions? Concerns? Wild praise? Searing complaints? General disinterest?

Thanks!
---John