On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 9:52 PM, John Gabriele <jmg3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that great docs are a top priority, however, the way they're
> currently being provided for external Clojure projects seems to be
> pretty good for the time being. I mean, most Clojure projects are
> using github, and github happily renders the docs as html. The
> ingredients are there.

Right; the way I see it the two missing pieces are 0) encouraging
library authors to write better documentation and 1) ensuring that
documentation is discoverable.

For 0 one change I've made is to have the default `lein new` skeleton
include a doc/ directory with a pointer to explain what kind of things
to write. There's a temptation to documentation that's autogenerated
from the source code a la Marginalia, but that's really only suited
for reference material, and most libraries need introductory long-form
guides to help people out.
(http://jacobian.org/writing/great-documentation/what-to-write/
addresses this topic well.) The problem here is that it's hard work,
and most maintainers don't prioritize it.

For 1 I think John is right that simply getting projects to declare a
:url that Clojars can link to will make a big difference. If you
maintain a project that doesn't link to its home page from Clojars,
all it takes is the addition of a :url in project.clj. If you use
`lein deploy clojars` it will nag you if you're missing that, so that
should help too. But I think getting maintainers to care about docs is
the big one. It's good to see the ClojureWerkz libraries setting a
good example; I hope others will follow.

-Phil