Hi Chas,

Great, I'm glad you think this is a useful contribution, and thanks for
the encouraging words!

To address some specific points:

> I know that Friend's docs are
> particularly dense, especially for anyone that just wants to use the
> stuff.  That's probably due to my using the docs to talk through the
> library's design more than anything else, in part to help potential
> workflow authors understand what's going on,

Yes, the Friend README is dense, but at the same time it is really helpful to have that volume of information there (especially rather than not at all). What I would like to do is help provide some transitional material from a more basic integration level up to the level of detail you provide in your README.

I'm wondering if you are game for changing that into a structure somewhat like how Ring and Compojure are structured--I personally feel like those have a great setup:

- Basic high-level information in the main README, with links to
  - Wiki with detailed examples and rationale, and
  - API docs

So, that's my proposal, and I'm happy to do a pull request re-structuring the README to fit in this pattern (or something else...just one proposal) if you're interested.

Also, it's awesome, but damn, that Tolkien quote is long. ;-)

> in part to provoke
> people into protesting certain decisions (this is my first swing at
> writing an authentication/authorization library, which should petrify
> you... ;-)

I have to be honest and say I am not a security guy either; but I have been doing this long enough that I'm not entirely naive about web security (and I really doubt you are from what you've written). It seems like you're starting from a good basis by attempting to emulate some of the other systems you listed--stuff like Warden (which I'm familiar with) and Spring Security (which I have to learn more about).

In the end, I think the best thing is to get the software out there as quickly as possible and describe your thought process--exactly as you've done.

And once I've implemented more Friend-based apps, I'll have a better idea of suggestions to make to improve both architecture and security--so I'll speak up when I've got more experience with it.

> I daresay you're getting the jump on me in both directions, which I
> really appreciate.

Great--if you think this is a good direction then I'll keep working on all of this stuff.

> I think a good next step would be for me to create a Friend
> organization (of course https://github.com/friend is taken! :-P),

Doh. Damnit, there's nothing there, that's annoying. I wonder if we could politely ask them to hand it over and see if whoever is there is open to the possibility...

Well, another option is to format it like ring:

https://github.com/ring-clojure/ring

...something like "friend-clojure" perhaps?

> so
> that you and others can readily contribute tutorials, example
> projects, and more that can be gradually cultivated into canonical,
> easily-approachable code and content.

Okay, sounds great! Just let me know, and I'll start adding this stuff to that group.

Cheers,
DD