Well, leiningen isn't just the best way to get started with Clojure, it's
the best way to install and work with Clojure. Leiningen isn't simply a
beginners tool. It's the toolbox for the Clojure programmer. Regardless of
what IDE or editor you use, you're still going to want Leiningen if you're
going to program in Clojure. Unless you prefer using maven directly,
Leiningen is one of few options and is certainly a good one. I'm not sure
what your complaint against Leiningen is. Maybe if you could clarify?

In any case, Clojure can be a tough language to get into initially just
because of the overhead of learning JVMisms as well. You'll get the hang of
it if you stick with it. I recommend grabbing a book if you've got the time
to read it. Clojure Programming is a good one. I'm trying to figure out if
there is a specific question hidden in there. Is there?