I think I have an idea of where your coming from. Leiningen does lots of
wonderful and important things but coming from the outside (or at least from
certain "outsides") it's not even clear why you'd want to do a lot of those
things, and it doesn't do some of the things that seem most essential to really
getting started (like provide a way to edit code).

I'm glad you've found IntelliJ IDEA to be helpful but FWIW I think that the
best way to get started for many outsiders may instead be Clooj, which lets you
edit and run code without knowing anything about Java or package managers or
anything else -- you can just download and double click one thing and then
start typing pure Clojure code in an environment that has minimal but essential
features like bracket matching and auto-indentation.

Clooj is listed on one of the "getting started" pages out there, but I know
that its author could use help keeping it up to date and improving it.

 -Lee