On Feb 14, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Alex Walker wrote:

> The easiest, when anything becomes a road block, is simply tryclj.com
> combined with 4clojure.com.
>
> Those two alone can give you enough to work with and chew on while you become
> more familiar with clojure and setup a proper environment (including
> Leiningen).
>
> Another simplification is to use lein-oneoff, once you have Leiningen
> installed, so that you can delay understanding how projects are structured
> and ran when typing "lein new".

tryclj.com is fantastic for day 1 but not much more. 4clojure.com is fantastic
for what it is, but not for writing your own code for your own purposes. I do
use these on day 1 of my classes with newcomers and suggest them to others who
want a first taste.

But Clooj can take you from day 1 through many kinds of complete projects. In
my experience it's pretty much the only thing out there in this sweet spot,
requiring no prior knowledge of much of anything (JVM, installation stuff,
special purpose editors, etc), but letting you do real work. Some other systems
may be there some time soon (e.g. LightTable, although that has a lot of other
stuff going on too), but in my experience none are quite as simple to deal with
as Clooj while simultaneously supporting real work.

I've championed Clooj on this list a number of times and it's not because I
have any personal connection to it. It's just because I think that the sweet
spot that it fills is really important, and I hope that others (with more tool
development skills etc) will come to appreciate that too and either help with
that project or push other projects in that direction.

 -Lee