Clojure code should in principle be possible to execute very fast when
using the same data structures. Clojure is much better behaved than
languages like Ruby and Javascript from a compiler perspective. See for
example the Stalin scheme compiler. It runs well written Scheme at almost C
speed (sometimes even faster), without type annotations.