I disagree with your last statement. If you look backward, you will find that
most
languages were created with one or two strong influential ideas at the start.

Many of them died of not being extendable to meet new concepts
(Snobol, Algol, Simula, APL, ...)

It did not prevent many of them to be successfull in terms of popularity for a
number of
years or decades (Fortran, Cobol, Pascal, Basic, C/C++ are in the top ranks
here).

They were not strong on all fronts on the contrary. Just look at Cobol...
but there are a few hundred millions of Cobol code lines out there driving your
bank
account. We are even hearing about Cobol rejuvenation from IBM.

They were a form of compromise. Clojure will not escape this route. Using the
JVM
is a compromise. You rely on the JVM and not bare metal. This cuts you out
from certain forms of optimizations while on the other hand you are isolated
from the bare metal and get access to a richer ecosystem.

Relying on JavaScript is even a bigger compromise (no threads, no control over
the container, ...) but it gets you everywhere.

There's no magic. You cannot win on all fronts.

Luc P.

Softaddicts<lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca> sent by ibisMail from my ipad!