Honestly, writing clear understandable code is hard enough already.

I have voiced this opinion before in other discussions on this topic - but my
view is that inline feature expressions should be used very sparingly. And
preferably, there should also be other options for portability - e.g. separated
specific source.

I like what kevin lynagh did with cljx. But this doesn't mean that it is the
answer for all platform variation problems.

The idea of multiple lines of conditional preprocessing in my (or, worse for
me, in your) source and then having to mentally resolve from that what gets
compiled for a particular platform sounds like a recipe for guaranteed
confusion and a bug finding horror.

The only way you could make that work would be with very good tooling. And I
won't be holding my breath for that just yet.

I really want some portability enhancements - but it has to be manageable.
otherwise it's going to take more effort than it saves.

Dave