Well, obviously :use can't be replaced by (require :refer). According to
DRY, I strongly agree the deprecation of :use. But that doesn't mean
interpreter shouldn't support it right now since we have legacy code base.
However, we could come to an agreement to less use of :use. It's trivial to
obey the rule with the help of some automation tools like Slamhound
https://github.com/technomancy/slamhound which generates namespace import
for you (of course, without :use). So why bother to use :use? My own
experience when encountering the situation that I have to guess where a
function belongs to is that I run Slamhound once and get a better ns
declaration, then if I'm not allowed to change the code base, I revert it
back.