> To be honest, I can't wait until we have something like that for Clojure.
> Give me a fast, light, InteliJ based IDE that "just works" 100% of the
> time, and I'd pay several hundred dollars for that software.

+1 to this.

I've used IntelliJ for years for Java, Javascript, HTML, SQL, ...
development. I've tried Eclipse about once a year for the last several
years, but I still prefer IntelliJ. A lot of that is personal preference
and what I'm used to.

But for Clojure development, I find that I prefer Emacs if I'm doing only
doing Clojure development and Intellij for mixed Java/Clojure development.
I still really like IntelliJ as an editor, but prefer Emacs for Clojure. I
also look forward to the day when I'll be able to use one tool for both.

I didn't know Emacs before starting Clojure, and the learning curve is
definitely steep, but I'm familiar with Vim, so Emacs + Evil mode has made
it a lot easier.

Here's some Emacs-like things in IntelliJ that I like (and Emacs users may
not know about):

- IntelliJ's interface can be scaled back to look like a text editor (see
http://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/IntelliJIDEA/User+Interface). Very
clean and uncluttered.

  -  it now has a dark theme now, which I prefer. Minor thing, but being
able to customize the UI is one of those small things that makes a small
but ongoing difference.

- It has a key sequence that opens up a "run this action by name" much like
Emacs' M-x. I use that a lot.

- Keybindings are infinitely customizable.

And unlike Emacs, it's Java integration is first-rate.

Here's some things in Emacs that I wish IntelliJ had:

- IntelliJ's has only a very loose approximation of paredit. Emacs is miles
ahead.

- IntelliJ's REPL cannot connect to a running nrepl server, which is a huge
pain for me. There are some branches of the La Clojure plugins that look
like they may address this, but they haven't had a release for a while now.
 Definitely not CCW levels of activity (Larent, are you sure you don't want
to work on IntelliJ? :) ) .

- Emacs is obviously far better over a remote connection of any kind, since
it's fundamentally text-based and works over an SSH connection. IntelliJ
doesn't even work well over a VNC/NX connection because of how it redraws
the screen (although there are some settings that may help with this). And
since IntelliJ's REPL can't connect to a remote nrepl server, you're out of
luck when working with a remote machine.

    - That makes pairing with Emacs much easier, if both people happen to
know Emacs.

- Emacs gives the impression of being easier to customize.

    - that's *mostly* an intangible thing -- I don't know elisp well enough
to write much, but I know where to start if I wanted to. And as Phil said,
it's "low friction."

IntelliJ plugins, on the other hand, have a much higher barrier to entry,
so if I want behavior that doesn't happen to be available via a checkbox
I'm less likely to try adding it. Now, if IntelliJ's Clojure plugin had a
Clojure interface into its runtime, so that I could make changes via a
REPL, I think that'd be a killer feature...

I keep saying I'll try Eclipse again, since it has *much* better Clojure
support than IntelliJ (thanks to Laurent) and it's still a decent Java
environment, but I haven't tried it in a while. Certainly not since the
Kepler release. I'm going to check out Laurent's link above.

- matt