2013/7/28 Matt Hoffman <m...@mhoffman.org>:
>> To be honest, I can't wait until we have something like that for Clojure.
>> Give me a fast, light, InteliJ based IDE that "just works" 100% of the time,
>> and I'd pay several hundred dollars for that software.
>

> +1 to this.
>
> I've used IntelliJ for years for Java, Javascript, HTML, SQL, ...
> development. I've tried Eclipse about once a year for the last several
> years, but I still prefer IntelliJ. A lot of that is personal preference and
> what I'm used to.
>
> But for Clojure development, I find that I prefer Emacs if I'm doing only
> doing Clojure development and Intellij for mixed Java/Clojure development. I
> still really like IntelliJ as an editor, but prefer Emacs for Clojure. I
> also look forward to the day when I'll be able to use one tool for both.
>
> I didn't know Emacs before starting Clojure, and the learning curve is
> definitely steep, but I'm familiar with Vim, so Emacs + Evil mode has made
> it a lot easier.
>
> Here's some Emacs-like things in IntelliJ that I like (and Emacs users may
> not know about):
>

> - IntelliJ's interface can be scaled back to look like a text editor (see
> http://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/IntelliJIDEA/User+Interface). Very
> clean and uncluttered.
>
>   -  it now has a dark theme now, which I prefer. Minor thing, but being
> able to customize the UI is one of those small things that makes a small but
> ongoing difference.
>
> - It has a key sequence that opens up a "run this action by name" much like
> Emacs' M-x. I use that a lot.
>
> - Keybindings are infinitely customizable.
>

> And unlike Emacs, it's Java integration is first-rate.
>

> Here's some things in Emacs that I wish IntelliJ had:
>

> - IntelliJ's has only a very loose approximation of paredit. Emacs is miles
> ahead.
>
> - IntelliJ's REPL cannot connect to a running nrepl server, which is a huge
> pain for me. There are some branches of the La Clojure plugins that look
> like they may address this, but they haven't had a release for a while now.
> Definitely not CCW levels of activity (Larent, are you sure you don't want
> to work on IntelliJ? :) ) .

Hey, I've considered it in the past, for sure, and honestly even
recently, 2-3 months back.
But the fact is that now Colin has unveiled the premises of a good
follow-up of La Clojure, so there may be no need for that anymore ;-)
(and honestly, I couldn't work on both project given the time I can
devote to it right now - I wish I could ! - )

> - Emacs is obviously far better over a remote connection of any kind, since
> it's fundamentally text-based and works over an SSH connection. IntelliJ
> doesn't even work well over a VNC/NX connection because of how it redraws
> the screen (although there are some settings that may help with this). And
> since IntelliJ's REPL can't connect to a remote nrepl server, you're out of
> luck when working with a remote machine.
>
>     - That makes pairing with Emacs much easier, if both people happen to
> know Emacs.
>
> - Emacs gives the impression of being easier to customize.
>
>     - that's *mostly* an intangible thing -- I don't know elisp well enough
> to write much, but I know where to start if I wanted to. And as Phil said,
> it's "low friction."
>
> IntelliJ plugins, on the other hand, have a much higher barrier to entry, so
> if I want behavior that doesn't happen to be available via a checkbox I'm
> less likely to try adding it. Now, if IntelliJ's Clojure plugin had a
> Clojure interface into its runtime, so that I could make changes via a REPL,
> I think that'd be a killer feature...

That's also something I've started working on on "spare time". But
since Eclipse is still "absorbing" the move from the 3.x branch to the
4.x branch, I was letting some time for things to stabilize, and will
focus my efforts on the 4.x branch when it's more widely adopted, and
current works on the editor then finishing work on Leiningen 2 full
integration are done.

> I keep saying I'll try Eclipse again, since it has *much* better Clojure
> support than IntelliJ (thanks to Laurent) and it's still a decent Java
> environment, but I haven't tried it in a while. Certainly not since the
> Kepler release. I'm going to check out Laurent's link above.

I will release tonight a new beta version with support for "fix
indentation as you type" (e.g. when you move a form from column A to
column B, the dependent lines will follow, with the same column delta,
thus preserving manual indentation - think cond-like forms manual
indentation).