On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Gary Trakhman <gary.trakh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Open-source developers are paid for their work in lots of ways that
> may/may-not involve cash.

But generally they're paid as they work, and if they stop working, they
stop getting paid, like in most jobs.

Of course, the actual coders of closed-source software like Windows also
stop getting paid if they stop working; it's the big company that hired
them that gets to keep raking it in without necessarily having to do any
more work.

> Commercial devs and products are not necessarily evil, and can be good for
> the community.

Did I claim otherwise? I just thought it odd that people would make unpaid
contributions to nonfree software. Seems kind of like donating money to
Apple instead of to a local soup kitchen.

Who cares if software gets bought over and over again? That's the beauty of
> software!  Competition actually still drives improvement in this space
> (Jetbrains is not Microsoft).
>
> This is kind of like an open source version of the the software-piracy
> 'lost sale' argument, a 'lost contribution' argument.  Not every
> open-source plugin developer for a commercial product would have
> contributed to an open-source project instead.

I don't think I claimed that either. On the other hand, one can make an
argument that the plugin developer may be being taken advantage of, if they
are essentially improving a *commercial* product (and only a commercial
product, rather than a wide, interoperable array of both commercial and
free products) gratis.