On Aug 5, 2013, at 4:40 AM, Korny Sietsma wrote:

> 3. Use ":refer :all". It's perfectly fine, IMHO, when used responsibly.

I agree in principle, but as I mentioned earlier in a related thread, when I
actually tried to convert my :use instances to :require :refer :all I learned
(I think!) that this cannot be done without substantially increasing the size
of the ns declaration.

The problem is that :use allows one to list a bunch of namespaces in one
declaration reasonably concisely, as in:

(ns use2require.core
   (:use [use2require myfns yourfns]))

while :require :refer :all requires a separate entry (and a separate :refer
:all) for each namespace, as in:

(ns use2require.core
   (:require [use2require.myfns :refer :all]
             [use2require.yourfns :refer :all]))

or

(ns use2require.core
   (:require [use2require [myfns :refer :all]
                          [yourfns :refer :all]]))

Of course it's not a big deal with only two namespaces, but if you have dozens
then this would be a real escalation in the size of the ns declaration.

Or am I missing something, and maybe there's a more concise way to use :require
:refer :all that approximates the amount of code required for :use?

FYI the thread in which I previously posted this, and on which several others
had comments, can be found at:

http://grokbase.com/t/gg/clojure/137v769emd/help-actually-changing-use-to-require-refer-all

If I haven't missed something then I'd advocate for an enhancement to :require
:refer :all that fixes this OR the retention of :use.

 -Lee