On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Norman Richards <o...@nostacktrace.com>wrote:

> I do stand by comment.  You are free to disagree.   It's so painful to
> watch people (experienced LISPers and newbies alike) manually balancing
> parenthesis and spending inordinate amounts of time to do the simplest
> tasks like pulling an expression up into a let or wrapping/unwrapping
> blocks.  I've never once seen someone programming Clojure without paredit
> and thought to myself "wow - that guy/gal really has this down".  The scope
> of this statement is limited by the sadly small number of great Clojure
> coders I've had the pleasure of watching work.  I would truly love to see
> some counter examples.

Getting back to the point of the original post, one of the nice features of
DrRacket is that when you type `]`, it automatically puts either ']' or ')'
depending on which delimiter is required.  In Clojure, you could extend
this to `}`.  When you have this feature, there's nothing arduous about
matching parens.  You just hit `]` repeatedly to close off the section that
is now complete.  I really like the analogy put forth earlier in this
thread that this is like closing off a thought.  Paren matching is
currently more arduous in Clojure, because you really do have to pay
attention to which kind of delimiter you're closing off and type the right
one, so I would love to see this convenience feature implemented in one of
the Clojure environments.