On Aug 8, 2013, at 3:34 AM, Robert Stuttaford wrote:

> Lee has a valid point. Lee's point is: let me decide. Put paredit in, but let
> me turn it off if I want.
>
> I agree that paredit is the only sane way for me and for anyone who doesn't
> have Lee's muscle memory to overcome. But for Lee, paredit is 'doing it
> wrong', because he doesn't enjoy it and he's unproductive that way. And that
> trumps any particular language, tool, paradigm, what-have-you.
>
> I mean, there are some people who are perfectly productive and happy in C++.
> If that's possible, then anything is :-)

I'm happy to drop this after this message too. I just couldn't let such an
unnecessarily insulting email stand without a response, and BTW I also don't
know where the alleged data about majorities/minorities is coming from (not
that such data would even mean that the minority are "doing it wrong").

Before I do, though, I'd like to clarify: my dislike of paredit isn't just
about muscle memory, although that's part of it. The biggest issue is that when
I write code it is very often not structurally sound while I'm composing it,
and that's intentional and important. Yes, it has to be structurally sound when
I evaluate it, but along the way I often jump around non-linearly and add weird
things when I think about them as I have new ideas, or copy chunks of code with
unbalanced parentheses from someplace else because I know I need *something*
related but I'm not yet sure how the pieces should fit into the new structure
yet. Sort of like I'm composing this email (and like I compose most text),
which had ungrammatical stuff at first but which I've rearranged and patched up
(I hope :-) as I've proceeded. For me, paredit is like a straightjacket that
prevents me from writing code in this free-form way, which is an important part
of the way I work.

And one other part of my dislike comes from my work teaching new programmers,
who have enough to learn and overcome without having to rethink the concept of
editing before turning (a b (c d)) into (a (b c d)), which they could do
effortlessly in a normal editor.

Okay. I'm done.

  -Lee