Lee Spector <lspec...@hampshire.edu> writes:

> On Aug 8, 2013, at 3:34 AM, Robert Stuttaford wrote:
>
>> Lee has a valid point. Lee's point is: let me decide. Put paredit in, but
>> let me turn it off if I want.
>>
>> I agree that paredit is the only sane way for me and for anyone who doesn't
>> have Lee's muscle memory to overcome. But for Lee, paredit is 'doing it
>> wrong', because he doesn't enjoy it and he's unproductive that way. And that
>> trumps any particular language, tool, paradigm, what-have-you.
>>
>> I mean, there are some people who are perfectly productive and happy in C++.
>> If that's possible, then anything is :-)
>
> I'm happy to drop this after this message too. I just couldn't let such an
> unnecessarily insulting email stand without a response

I think he was trying to support you actually. He's saying "it doesn't
work for you, which means it's the wrong tool!"

> And one other part of my dislike comes from my work teaching new programmers,
> who have enough to learn and overcome without having to rethink the concept of
> editing before turning (a b (c d)) into (a (b c d)), which they could do
> effortlessly in a normal editor.

I can see this as a problem, although, there again new programmers are
likely to have problems getting parens balanced. I've never taught lisp
to new programmers, but given the difficult those I have taught Java
have with brace/paren matching, I guess it's a problem.

It's always hard to know when to bring in tools, especially the ones
that are really useful, but have a learning curve.

Phil