On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Adrian Mowat <adrian.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is cider just a new release of nrepl.el or a different thing entirely?

Well, it's a "new release" insofar as it's an updated version of
nrepl.el. In order to switch to it, however, you have to remove
nrepl.el _and all packages that depend on it_ (which packages are not
specified in the upgrade instructions so that would be a hit'n'miss
process), then you install cider.el and then you also have to update
various parts of .emac.d/init.el depending on how you had customized
nrepl. And that part isn't really described in the upgrade
instructions either so that's also pretty hit'n'miss. And then you
have to reinstall newer versions of the packages you deleted that
depended on nrepl.el and hope you get versions that depend on cider.el
instead (since there's no way of telling, based solely on their
package description I suspect).

And if you use Ritz, that hasn't been updated so you have to stay with
nrepl.el anyway.

Frankly, I think it was a mistake to rename it and rename various
functions in it, forcing breakage on dependent packages (which have
not changed their names as far as I can tell).

I use ac-nrepl and the latest version still says it is for nrepl so
I've no idea whether it will work with cider. I also use nrepl-ritz
but I could live without it. My nrepl-related init.el file contains:

https://www.refheap.com/21729

and it's not clear how that would need changing and whether it would
continue to work properly.

And this isn't just for me - my team all has the same base
configuration of Emacs and so we'd have to go thru this switch process
for each team member.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."