On Friday, December 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Sean Corfield wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Adrian Mowat <adrian.mo...@gmail.com
> (mailto:adrian.mo...@gmail.com)> wrote:
> > Is cider just a new release of nrepl.el or a different thing entirely?
>

> Well, it's a "new release" insofar as it's an updated version of
> nrepl.el. In order to switch to it, however, you have to remove
> nrepl.el _and all packages that depend on it_ (which packages are not
> specified in the upgrade instructions so that would be a hit'n'miss
> process)

If someone is not clear it should be improved. I can’t know what problems
people encounter is they don’t tell me. cider has both an issue tracker and
it’s own mailing list.
> , then you install cider.el and then you also have to update
> various parts of .emac.d/init.el depending on how you had customized
> nrepl. And that part isn't really described in the upgrade
> instructions either so that's also pretty hit'n'miss.

All configuration options are documented in the README, so I’d say updating the
init.el is an easy task.

> And then you
> have to reinstall newer versions of the packages you deleted that
> depended on nrepl.el and hope you get versions that depend on cider.el
> instead (since there's no way of telling, based solely on their
> package description I suspect).

The list of package dependencies is more informative than a package's name.

> And if you use Ritz, that hasn't been updated so you have to stay with
> nrepl.el anyway.
>
> Frankly, I think it was a mistake to rename it and rename various
> functions in it, forcing breakage on dependent packages (which have
> not changed their names as far as I can tell).

You’re thinking short term, but you should be thinking long term. Nobody will
remember this transition is a few months. I’m confident that in the greater
scheme of things the rename was a good solution.

> I use ac-nrepl and the latest version still says it is for nrepl so
> I've no idea whether it will work with cider. I also use nrepl-ritz

ac-nrepl supports only cider.

> but I could live without it. My nrepl-related init.el file contains:
>
> https://www.refheap.com/21729
>
> and it's not clear how that would need changing and whether it would
> continue to work properly.

Your eval-in-repl function is obsolete, since similar functionality lives in
cider itself.
I have no idea why you’re modifying clojure-mode’s keymap when you should be
modifying cider-mode’s keymap instead (+ set-ns is bound to a keycombo by
default). Consulting the Changelog would reveal that `nrepl-mode` is now named
`cider-repl-mode` and `nrepl-interaction-mode` is now `cider-mode` (it’s
basically the same in SLIME). The migration is really simple and I think that
people are blowing this problem out of proportion. Of course, I basically live
in Emacs, so this is obviously affecting my POV. Less experienced Emacs users
might find even simple changes challenging.
> And this isn't just for me - my team all has the same base
> configuration of Emacs and so we'd have to go thru this switch process
> for each team member.

As I said previously - if you’re not certain about something you should stop by
either cider’s google group or the GitHub project. :-)