Bozhidar Batsov <bozhidar.bat...@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:56:05 PM UTC+2, Phillip Lord wrote:
>>

>> I discovered one of the reasons for my issues with stability yesterday.
>> The version of clojure-test-mode on marmalade still depends on nrepl
>> (rather than cider), so, despite my best efforts to remove nrepl.el it
>> was still getting pulled back in.
>>

> Marmalade is a huge problem these days - frequent outages, not to mention
> many package uploads (including cider 0.4) got corrupted and Nic hasn't
> been able to figure out what's going on there.
> I'd suggest to everyone to use MELPA for the time being.

So, I have used MELPA before, but I found living on the bleeding edge
for all of my packages is bit painful; the overall stability of my Emacs
setup dropped considerably. I fear this will remain while many package
developers use a "dirty head" versioning system (myself included).

I don't mind doing this for one or two packages where I want bleeding
edge, but I haven't worked out how to get package.el to pick packages
from different repos.

I agree with you about problems with marmalade. What we need is a way
for devs to specify the latest stable version (by commit, branch or tag)
in their Emacs packages. That would mean that, like marmalade, the
developer would control which version is considered stable, but could do
so purely with their VC. Wordpress plugins use something similar.

Phil