On Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:15:38 AM UTC-7, Paulo Suzart wrote:

> Hi all, (warning, this is kinda confusing email)
>
> Been following the list for some time and specially paying attention to
> what could be the killer clojure app as Akka is for Scala.

Etc.

The languages that you do use daily. What was their killer app? What are
the 25 killer apps for the Top 25 programming languages as ranked by
mention in a survey of programmers? With C, the answer of Unix is fairly
straight-forward, but C's popularity is not because people kept making os
after os and since the late 70s people have been creating language after
language to polish off C's very rough edges. Perl ruled web applications
for a bit, by virtue of string processing and regexes. What is the most
popular app written in C#? What was the killer app for C++? The primary use
case for Python? Not being perl?

Objective-C is more popular now than ever in its third decade of existence
and that is by virtue of its affiliation with a very successful platform.
Android is a more popular platform and, yet, have we seen folks reigniting
the passion for java that was there in the late 90s?

You also may misunderstand the "killer app" theory, which I think is about
how novel applications move platforms from early adopters into a
mainstream. The most successful platform of recent times has been the
smartphone. Its "killer apps?" Maps, Phone, Music, Messaging, Browser? All
of the above?

Every new programming language is a commentary on its antecedents. The
language designers imagine that a class of algorithms or processes could be
more quickly and safely programmed or execute better if a language
expressed the solution more clearly. From mathematics, we know that every
sufficiently powerful language is as powerful as another. We also know that
some problems are undecidable and some programs will yield answers that are
occasionally sub-optimal because the correct answer won't be outputted
until after the heat-death of the universe.

Within a few pages of any book on Clojure, one may see the comments the
language makes on predecessors, including Lisp, Java, and Haskell. (Not all
comments are along the lines of "they got it wrong.") The primary directive
for the language was to make concurrency more manageable while leveraging
Lisp's first class and higher order functions and code as data, the jvm's
engineering, java's library, and Haskell's laziness.

I respectfully submit that you ask the wrong question, just as those who
early last decade asked "Where's java's popular desktop app?"

What problem does your company have to solve? Are you really going to
rewrite all your existing products if you find the most awesome language?
If Akka is sliced-bread good, why keep looking? What does technical debt
mean to you? What types of bugs show up all the time and would a different
language exchange those bugs for easier to find and fix bugs? Can you hire
enough great people to make the changeover work, or will it be an uncanny
valley disaster as management underestimates resource requirements and
time-to-expertise? Does the person using a reliable COBOL program really
care that the language hasn't been hip since 1959? Users and customers.
That is the focus. If Clojure helps you deliver better value to those
groups or if it seems to make problem solving more fun or efficient, use
it. Don't expect the advantages to be obvious. The processes that are
"obviously" better are the ones more likely to be fads or traditions
wrapped in buzzwords. There are no silver bullets.