Actually, I am not sure I would agree. For example, there are quite a
few publications on Scala but most of the academic publications are
about something; so, the semantics of it's type system, or the blending
of function and OO or so on. So, which should you cite? Well, you could
pick the language spec, of course, and scala has a very nice one (well,
long anyway, haven't read it). But even this is about the semantics of
the language, and not Scala as in "I used Scala to do this" which is
about the language, the runtime and the tool chain.

The idea that you can't cite websites is a conceit that ensures that
academics continue to spend a 1000s of pounds a paper on puplication
costs, when you can achieve much the same with a blog, some metadata and
archive.org.

Ah, that was good, I feel better now!

Phil

--
Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 222 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: phillip.l...@newcastle.ac.uk