Jony Hudson <jonyepsi...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday, 15 May 2014 14:58:50 UTC+1, Phillip Lord wrote:
>>

>> Again, based on the dubious ID that an DOI "makes things citable".
>>
>> A URL is already citable!
>>

> Well, there's no shortage of broken links out there to suggest that people
> have trouble keeping content associated with stable URLs. The main value of
> DOI, IMHO, is they're an explicit commitment to make something persistently
> available - just what you want for citations.

Actually, they don't. I've broken quite a few DOIs in my time. What they
offer is the guarantee that a DOI will not be handed out twice. So, you
avoid the situation where a domain name is unregistered, someone else
buys it, and the links are replaced with porn.

Now, there is an explicit commitment from crossref (one of the nine
bodies that hands out DOIs) over the way that the DOI resolves and what
is resolves to. But the strength of this commitment comes from a social
and legal agreement, not a technological one. So, URIs such as
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/ offer the same guarantee of stability.
Indeed, the display standard for representing DOIs is that is
represented as a URI. So URIs are not intrinsincally unstable. And the
W3C URL has the *big* advantage that it does not require a two-step
resolution. So, the URI that you see in your browser is the URI that you
use. With a DOI, the URI is a passing, ephemeral thing.

DOIs are treated as some sort of magic -- figshare use the "make data
citable" tagline largely on the basis of "hey, it's got a DOI"; I find
this over-simplistic. DOIs have their place, but it is not everywhere,
and they are not automatically better than a URI.

Phil