I could add something about NodeJS arena:

There are web frameworks, but the most popular (AFAIK) way is the use of:

- Express for MVC routing and middleware management (before middle ware
management was Connect task), and template engine coordination
- NPM ecosystem for any library or middleware needed

I guess that "big web frameworks" are more suitable for simple application
without a lot of changing requirements. Every time I got an application
with non-trivial logic, and agile embracing the change, I preferred the
"simple-way" insteof the "easy-way".

And "small web frameworks" are in charge of:
- middleware chaining
- routing a la MVC
- coordinate template rendering

In contrast, PayPal developed kraken http://krakenjs.com/ adding some