I'm speaking very much as a passenger in this community, and I've had the
privilege of meeting just a few of you people, but that may be no handicap.

It's a worthwhile debate to have, but this is very much an edge case. Rich has
kindly and wisely reduced his own bum-print in the ecosystem so much that the
majority of what other languages include is found in higher velocity libraries.

For small changes to core (and core libs) as Andy said, contribs are often
incorporated whole after feedback. This change by Zach is by these standards
enormous, so it's not going to follow that route.

Again, for small or cosmetic changes, credit is sufficient feedback for most
(otherwise do something else), but in this case there is a question to be
answered about the manner by which Zach's hand-wrought (and iterated by
request) code was effectively redone unilaterally.

I agree with Luc and Colin on the link between the success of Clojure and
Rich's insistence on doing things his way. We are all here because this is the
case and Clojure the language is as clean and simple as Rich can keep it.

However, this example proves that Rich is not omniscient (though we do all love
him dearly). It took months of work by Zach to turn a belief into a provable
case to make fundamental changes to the implementation of small data
structures. We all need to foster such dedication to improving the language
many of us have bet our careers on.

This episode is not likely to encourage the next girl to do that work.

​Alex has put ZT front and centre for credit for the update, and made it the
centrepiece of the new release, and that's great. But I think some comments
from someone inside the temple might also be of use. Who knows, maybe this
prompts a rethink of how the pipeline works in the future.. That perhaps would
be a suitable response to Zach's contribution to both language and community.

--

Fergal Byrne, Brenter IT

Author, Real Machine Intelligence with Clortex and NuPIC
https://leanpub.com/realsmartmachines

Speaking on Clortex and HTM/CLA at euroClojure Krakow, June 2014:
http://euroclojure.com/2014/
and at LambdaJam Chicago, July 2014: http://www.lambdajam.com

http://inbits.com - Better Living through Thoughtful Technology
http://ie.linkedin.com/in/fergbyrne/ - https://github.com/fergalbyrne