On Sunday, November 6, 2016 at 9:54:19 PM UTC-6, Alan Thompson wrote:

> There was quite a discussion of this topic back in July if you'd like to
> review it:   https://goo.gl/Azy8Nf
>
> The semantic mismatch is unfortunate.
> Alan

 It's not just a mismatch with not-any?, though.  "any?" makes no sense as
a name for a function that returns true no matter what is passed to it.
That's not what "any" means in English.

Alex Miller ended the discussion by stating that it was not up for debate.
(So the rest of this post will affect nothing, and there are good reasons
to stop reading.)

My respect for Alex (and Rich) is very, very great, but I think this
choice, and the decision to shut down discussion of it when spec is still
alpha is, yeah, unfortunate.  Not that it matters now.  But alpha was the
time to discuss it.

Similar to points I've made before:  There are lots of things I like about
Clojure, and lots of reasons that I am happier using Clojure than Common
Lisp.  Here's one: Common Lisp sometimes uses a confusing hodgepodge of
function names, sometimes with differently named functions that do similar
things, with different argument orders and different semantics in other
respects.  I assume that this is because CL was defined by a committee, and
in particular a committee that wanted to merge independently-developed
dialects of Lisp.  Clojure, by contrast, was not designed by committee, and
was designed from the start to have an elegant system of functions and
function names.  Not perfect in this respect, but still beautiful.  It
makes Clojure easier to learn, easier to understand, and makes it easier to
remember function names and semantics.  So it bugs me when Clojure takes a
step toward arbitrary quirkiness.

"any?" wasn't the only option.  I would have gone with something obvious
like "always-true", or "yes", or even something possibly too-clever like
"arg-or-not-arg?" or "or-not-this?"  These last might be confusing, but not
misleading, as "any?" is.

(But none of that matters.)

(There is an upside to quirkiness, however.  if you program in CL for a
bit, you get to experience the pride of your esoteric knowledge of the ins
and outs of CL's functions.)