On 2013-03-25 13:14, Brad King wrote:
On 03/25/2013 12:28 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
I'm on the fence if this should target 2.8.11. On the plus side, it
means the historic behavior of ignoring jar files listed as sources will
be preserved. On the down side, it is late in the cycle and this is a
less trivial change.

If it does not go in, I will redo the change to preserve the behavior
from the previous commits (i.e. jars and targets are accepted in the
sources list).

This is one reason I don't like rushing such changes in during the
RC cycle.  Now we have to decide whether to rush an even bigger
change in, revert the original, or have behavior that was preferred
for exactly one release and have to support it forever.

Essentially, yes. Sorry. I do wish I'd thought of this earlier.

For what it's worth, I see advantages and disadvantages either way, and can't say I significantly prefer any of them over the others.

Revert:
- Pros: no behavior change from 2.8.10
- Cons: is a revert; add_jar not improved this release cycle

As is:
- Pros: add_jar accepts jars as it was apparently intended to, as 'source' arguments
- Cons: maybe not optimal interface, must support this going forward

This branch:
- Pros: cleaner interface, stricter compatibility with 2.8.10
- Cons: non-trivial change, late in release cycle

--
Matthew