On 9/11/20 01:00, Glenn Knickerbocker wrote:

Uh-oh.  I must never have tried THIS before:

pipe literal 123| specs 1-* v2c 1.3 right | cons
   1

That's just wrong.

¬R

This is a bug that no-one has complained about before.

The correct output is "123". That is, the placement has incorrectly been ignored when the v2c conversion is truncated. Documentation is quite clear about conversion being performed before output placement. The code should be fixed.

I speculate the reason is that the output field is a catenation of an internal literal of the byte count and data from the input record. This two-input output arises only with v2c conversion.

Processing is correct when the output field is padded:

pipe literal 123| specs 1-* v2c 1.6 right |fmtdmp|cons
Record 1
 00000000  400003F1 F2F3                         *   123          *

There is no test case of the placement option with v2c. Indeed with any of the conversions, he says after a quick peek at SPC TESTIN.

I agree that message 393 is the result of paranoia. It should not be issued; one or two bytes should be output.