EDF came as an add-on to VM/370 release 6 in 1979.  Along with FBA
support if memory serves.

Alan is not doing justice to the designers.  Being copy-on-write, it was
the first CMS file system that had no leakage of disk blocks on crashes
or power outages.  CDF had the choice of trashed files or block leakage
and clearly chose the latter, but as a consequence, you might have 10%
wasted blocks on a minidisk after a while.