From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of dwight
veinot
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 9:26 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Backstay tension

Chuck

Alianna is ancient and therefore has wire rigging, the backstay, forestay
and upper shrouds are 1x19, 9/32 which has a breaking strength around 10000
lbs.  Surprisingly my rather inexpensive Loos tension gage gives readings
that are very close (+/- 100 lbs) to what the gage on my Navtec hydraulic
backstay adjuster gives but I am not sure if either one is giving accurate
numbers, just that they correlate pretty good.

I agree the mast in my single spreader 35MKII is likely a lot less flexible,
especially fore and aft than the mast on your 34R.  I adjusted the head stay
to give slight to neutral weather helm with about 500 lbs on the backstay
and it stays that way.  I apply backstay tension to maintain that slight
weather helm as apparent wind speed increases going to weather, so the boat
is well balanced and will hold course with no or little steering required.
In fact after newcomers to the boat have had a chance to steer going to
weather for a while I will often ask them to let the wheel go to see what
happens.she holds her course without their attention to steering and they
become more relaxed about being behind the wheel.

It is quite usual that afternoon winds around here are 15 to mid 20's
apparent going to weather and as I noted in an earlier post with full main
and 135 jib, tensioning the backstay above 1200lbs. has little effect on
performance in terms of pointing or boat speed.  Coincidentally 1200 lbs. is
the same tension I set my upper shrouds at.

I should say that I much prefer sailing to weather in 10-14 apparent and so
do most guests I have taken on board.  Light air sailing is a civilized way
to spend and afternoon with family and friends most of whom who prefer less
than 15 degrees of heel.

Dwight Veinot

C&C 35 MKII, Alianna

Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS