I actually have two friends locally who own M26Xs. Both are experienced
catamaran sailors. One was mainly in small racing cats - did the Worrall
1000 three times, among other things. The other sailed a 44 ft cruising cat
until about 2009.

The cruising sailor sold his big boat and wanted comfortable amenities in a
boat he could ramp launch and sail single handed. The options on his boat
(ie. Autopilot, refrigeration, pressure water, solar panels, etc, etc, etc)
actually cost more than the boat, 60hp motor and trailer. Can you say
$64,000 MacGregor?

The small boat sailor wanted a boat he could beach for picnics and for his
grand kids to go swimming, plus 50 hp so he can get them home in a hurry
when they got bored.

>From these guys I understand there are actually 26Ms and 26Xs. One has a
centerboard and the other has water ballast, a dagger board, and a rotating
mast. Both sailors tell me the boat is a quirky.

My cruiser friend has a roller furling genoa, which has to be rolled in for
all but the lightest wind. That's because it heals so much in moderate wind
that only one rudder is in the water, and the short thin rudder makes the
boat squirrely.

My racer friend has genoa envy because his roller furling jib is SLOW
downwind. He has elected to keep his boat in the water year round, but he
has to keep it in a slip with 9 ft depth. That's because the boat is pretty
much uncontrollable under power with the dagger board up.  Turn the wheel
(and the outboard) and the boat sort of slides off at a 45 degree angle like
a flat bottom inflatable dinghy. Makes it almost impossible for him to come
down the fairway and turn into his slip with the dagger board up.

I know from experience that my 25 mk1 is faster than either 26X both upwind
and downwind, and a darned sight more comfortable in moderate to strong
winds. But then, I can't beach it to have a picnic or run away at 25 knots
if the weather changes. To each his own, I guess.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC