David,

Just a thought for you. Before owning my  C&C, my previous boat was an
Alberg 37 which I bought while it was  in the water at a marina. During
negotiations, I insisted on a survey  and a sea-trial as conditions of the
purchase.
We  sea-trialed with the surveyor  on board and all was fine until we
raised sail.

No one else felt it, but I felt there  was something wrong with the rudder.
I felt a strange sort of "flexing"...I  don't know how to describe it
better. When we hauled the boat for the second part of the survey, we found a
hairline split in the rudder which evidently opened when the rudder was under
 load. It was so small a crack when there was no load that the surveyor
might  well have missed it had he not been alerted to the problem by the
sea-trial.

Armed with this knowledge, I negotiated  enough on the price that I was
able to have the rudder pulled and completely  rebuilt. When the rebuilder
took it apart, it was clear that the rudder post had broken loose  internally.

I only mention this because I think a  sea-trial, in addition to an
independent survey, should be a part of  every boat purchase.

Bill Hartman
1985 C&C Landfall  39

In a message dated 2/26/2013 9:25:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,