David and I looked for a C&C 37/40+ boat for over two years to find the right
one for us (condition), and while I agree with the volume of advice you have
received, there is one area that wasn't covered. (Please excuse me) We hired a
naval architect that performs surveys using a Flir thermal imaging camera so we
could look thru the fiberglass at the balsa core.  A wet core shows up as a
different color.  We wanted to make sure that she was the right one in every
way.

C&C makes an awesome boat, their performance has been unsurpassed in racing and
cruising from the first 40' we sailed to Block Island in the 70's to our 1983
29 MKII, the C &C 99 we crewed/raced on for 5 years, and the 37/40+ we have
owned/raced & cruised for 1.5 years. Construction is solid compared to other
models and in the case of our 1990 vintage, we were pleased to find the thru
hulls do not have any balsa core around them.

We echo what you have been told in the email strings below but also add that
having a surveyor that has a thermal imaging camera is huge.

The end result is a boat that points like nobody's business and weather racing
or cruising does so beautifully.

Good luck to you in your search and negotiations, may you have fair winds...

Joanne & David
Obsession
37/40+

Sent from my iPad