Hello all

I have an elderly Yanmar 3GMD engine that is raw water cooled.  It has
plugged twice in the last two years where the water goes through a knuckle
into the mixing elbow.  The first time (summer before last) was some solid
bit that had gotten stuck - how it got there I don't know.  The last time
(last week) was due to a tar like substance gumming up the knuckle.  Easy to
clear and I was on my way, but is this a harbinger of something more
serious.

I took the mixing elbow off a few years back and cleaned it, guess it is
time to do that again.

Is the plugging coming from the exhaust and working its way into the knuckle
- for example unburned diesel?

Thanks for any insight.

Don