One of my crew is looking for a boat, his first.  I sent him a list of things
to consider.  Here's most of them.

Bridge clearance- friend of mine has a nice big boat that can't get under
several critical bridges leading to some prime sailing.  Touche' is even too
tall to get under some bridges where we sail
How are the shrouds attached?  Most C&C's carry the shroud load to the hull.
Many boats carry the load to a bulkhead.  I don't like that.
Keel - fin, bulb, shoal, wing, full, centerboard, dagger board
Anchor locker on foredeck?
Fold down, pedestal or mast dinette table

Split lower shrouds vs inline shrouds
Straight vs swept back spreaders?
Baby stay?

Diesel vs gas?
Folding or fixed prop?

Head?  Shower?
Tiller vs wheel?
Propane stove?
Mast head vs fractional?  If I was looking for a race boat today, I'd go
fractional
Traveler location?  End boom, bridgedeck, cabintop?
Big cockpit for entertaining?
Straight drive vs V-drive?
Fiberglass vs holly/teak sole?
Opening ports?
Sugar scoop transom, stern ladder, opening
Fiberglass headliner vs vinyl headliner

The list goes on and on.

When I was shopping for my first boat, I was pretty ignorant.  I wanted a
wheel, diesel and shower.  Result?  First boat - 0 for 3.  Second boat had a
wheel.  :)

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA