Good questions. You'll do fine finding a good boat.
I never had "two foot itis". I started with a 13' Sunfish, to a Cape Dory 22',
sold that and windsurfed for 15 yrs, and then fell in love with our present 36
footer, the 34R. So much depends on what you want to do with the boat and how
many new skills you want to learn. If your whole family is cruising, be sure to
consider them in the new boat decision.

Bigger boats cost more overall, a little more bottom paint, longer dock lines,
higher slip fees, new sails, storage charges. But many costs are the same, like
the common items like new dishes or fire extinguishers, flares, dinghy, VHF,
bilge pumps and head and electronics cost the same if you put them on a big
boat or small boat. The bigger boat can serve as a getaway/weekend home.

My one tip: be more agressive as a buyer: Get aboard some bigger boats. Ask
owners if they might consider letting you crew on bigger boats to see what they
are like? Offer to crew for a race, offer to bring beer or rum for a sail. Ask
them later if they might consider selling? There are many owners who have
enjoyed their boats and would love to sell but don't want to go through the
emotional rollercoaster of selling through listings or a broker.

Size: Boathandling is fun to learn and demonstrate. I learn tricks all the
time. Like how to set all the fenders and prep all docklines before I approach
the dock, and docking single handed in cross winds, or in strong river current,
and when to ask for help, and when not to ask for help.

Chuck
Resolute
1990 C&C 34R
Atlantic City, NJ