Rich -- my 1979 LF38 has no stop cable, either; you stop the engine by
throttling down to idle; then there's a spring-loaded lever on the throttle
assembly at the engine, where if you pull the throttle lever a bit further, it
stops the engine.  This is on a Yanmar 3QM30.  It could be that the spring on
your assembly is shot; or the cable might not be free enough to allow the
spring to keep the engine in idle.

The two pull-out electrical switches flanking the fuel gauge below the engine
control panel are for the bilge blower and the instrument/compass lights.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis