Joel Aronson wrote:
What sort of warranty do they have?  Why do you stay loyal to the brand?

Because I'm in Mexico, and it's the only fan I've found other than power hungry 12V fans in auto stores that assume you're driving a bus and are running an alternator constantly. If you're lucky you can find a marine store in major cities, but this is a power-boat culture. (In five years I've never met a Mexican cruiser.)

This is why I carry a spare for every single pump on board, and about 150 pounds of spare engine parts, 2 spare belts, a 5 year supply of zincs, a 2 year supply of filters for the watermaker, etc. Basic stuff is hard to get. On the VHF cruiser nets, you'll often hear someone desperate to find Denatured Alcohol for an Origo stove. Seriously. I always keep an eye out for it, just because I use it as a weak solvent, and I rarely see it in anything other than a glass (shudder) bottle. Even Mineral Spirits is tough -- the stuff they call 'thinner' down smells like touline to me.

The fan that just burned out won't be replaced until I get back to La Paz next June or July, and will cost $80US. Shipping one down would be a ridiculous exercise, because it will probably disappear in customs. (Especially since there's a new political party in power and all the appointees have been replaced with nephews and cousins who want to get as rich as possible as quickly as possible.)

Wal