That's a fun project to contemplate, Steve. And I have to admit, one that
has crossed my mind more than once. I am stuck on the 40. I love the way
she sails and I love that she fits my budget. Using the 40 as as a
long-term cruiser is quite do-able...and in comfort.
I think the storage is pretty good, and she's certainly comfortable to live
aboard. The tankage is definitely a consideration, but that can be worked
around; add a bladder for fuel aft of the existing tank, and perhaps
another for water under the V-berth. See
http://sailingsaralane.blogspot.com/ for what my friend Skip did to modify
his 40. It's not necessary to do all he did, but it's interesting to think
about.

Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine