BoatUS is outrageously expensive in Florida.

I think they wanted 2K from me for a 10K policy with a 2.5K deductible on a
Bristol 30 in Fort Lauderdale.

Progressive gave me the same policy for $600. When I moved to St. Petersburg,
it dropped to $400.

The rates went way up in South Florida after the horrible 2004-5 hurricane
seasons, when hundreds/thousands of boats were sunk from West Palm Beach on
south. Especially on older boats.

The suspicion was that owners were using the hurricanes as a way to get rid of
older, well-insured boats that weren’t in good shape. At my mooring field at
Key Biscayne, the joke was that for every owner adding lines, there was another
one loosening them ...

Jack Brennan
Former C&C 25
Shanachie, 1974 Bristol 30