I would guess you're paying the price for living in Florida. Rates in the
coastal counties of North Carolina more than doubled a few years ago due to
insurance company experience in hurricane country, and in addition
deductables were doubled in the event of a named storm - even though we only
get hit with a hurricane every 4 or 5 years on average.

I, too, had progressive coverage on my 38 for a few months. They will not
normally cover anything over 35 feet. I also found the policy was slanted
toward the coverage needed for a boat on a trailer when compared to the
marine policy I had previously.

I had coverage for a while from a company called Victoria, which was the
marine insurance subsidiary of Nationwide or Geico. They did not renew one
year because my boat no longer met their underwriting criteria for age and
value. Might be a problem, but the cost was reasonable.

I was going to say Boat/US. Have you tried SeaTow Insurance as well?

One alternative might be to join your local Power Squadron chapter so you
can get into their insurance program. You get credit for education and for
being conscientious and concerned with safety. The Power Squadron insurance
was the best value I had, and I regret changing carriers now.

Have you called the agent that does your home owners and car insurance? They
might be able to help with marine insurance. That's how I ended up with
Victoria, and changing got me a multi-policy discount on my homeowners
insurance (which has also gone up a whale of a lot in the coastal counties
of North Carolina - afterboth Irene and Sandy).

Or you might try one of the several marines specific insurance agencies who
advertise in Cruising World of Blue Water sailing.

Good luck,

Rick Brass
Washington, NC