From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of
sam.c.sal...@gmail.com
Sent: February 5, 2014 7:01 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List genoa sock

I make canvas stuff and repair sails locally.

I make genoa socks and put UV stripes on leech and foot.

I use a sock as it seems silly to put UV stripes on a high tech sail.

UV stripes are on the sail so you don’t have to think about them. Just furl
and forget.

They are quite heavy (Sunbrella) so in light air the sail set can be a
problem. Also, this means that it takes a knot or two more before the wind
can shape the sail.

The sock has to be raised after you dock/anchor/moor on the spinnaker
halyard.

A bit more to think about and a little more labour zipping up.

Windage isn’t a problem as all the slack in the sock is taken up by a lacing
cord run from head to tack.

My socks have a split zip, so no need to take off or run the sheets out the
bottom of the sock.

Cost for each is the same (I charge $350 CDN for a 26 ft boat - about usual
for this lake)

(I’m not looking for business)

sam :-)

C&C 26  Liquorice