Hi Eric- Can you clarify “blown off”.  My impression was that it was a tube
held down by a network of lines to compress it.  How does that come off short
of halyard failure?  Dave

On Feb 7, 2014, at 5:13 PM, Eric Baumes <eric.bau...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a sock for my genoa. It has blown off twice in thunderstorms where the
> wind gusted over 40mph. I have repaired it twice and now use it sparingly.
> E.g. if I am racing and want to leave it on over night.
>
> If I leave the boat for any period of time unattended I take the headsail
> down.
>
> Eric
>
> ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
> "I want 10,000 tough guys, and I want 10,000 soft guys to make the tough guys
> look tougher! And here's how I want them arranged: tough, soft, tough, tough,
> soft, tough, soft, soft, tough, tough, soft, soft, tough, soft, tough, soft!"
>
> Russ Cargill
>

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Tom Anderson <t...@nonpareilracing.com> wrote:
> David,
> I have been using one for the last eight years on my racing genoa.  With two
> people it takes about three to four minutes to put up, much less to take
> down.  MUCH better than the heavy UV Sunbrella or some other sort of
> sacrificial material. Genoa flies much better in lighter air.  Any good
> sailmaker or canvas person can easily  make you one.  Probably cheaper than
> ATN., and you want it made the exact height of you luff.  Too big, and it
> will flop around in wind.
>
> Tom Anderson
> C&C 32 Nonpareil
> On the hard in Marblehead, MA
>

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 17:57:17 -0500
> From: David Knecht <davidakne...@gmail.com>
> To: CnC CnC discussion list <CnC-List@cnc-list.com>
> Subject: Stus-List genoa sock
>
> Has anyone used a product like the ATN genoa sleeve?  I am considering if I
> get a new genoa, not having a protective leech section put on and instead
> using a product like this.  Plusses and minuses?  I have seen comments that
> they create more windage in a storm, but ATN is claiming it would be
> protective.  I have seen plenty of genoas destroyed at our club by something
> coming loose while at the mooring in a blow, and this seems like a way to
> prevent that.  Dave
>

> David Knecht
> Aries
> 1990 C&C 34+
> New London, CT

> http://www.cncphotoalbum.com
> CnC-List@cnc-list.com

> http://www.cncphotoalbum.com
> CnC-List@cnc-list.com

David Knecht, Ph.D.
Professor and Head of Core Microscopy Facility
U-3125
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269