You sound on track, though you should start with a solid fiberglass hull like
the 1961 Alberg 35. Surprised the spec shows only 12600# displacement.

Checking the brochure info, the 1990 34+ used "biaxial fiberglass/kevlar hybrid
laminate with (waterproof) Hydrex isothalic NGP resin w aircraft quality balsa
core. The deck is similar adding coremat in winch areas.

At some time "vacuum bagging" reduced the amount of excess resin in the whole
build process and that was the heaviest element. Before that, engineers were
guessing at the total weight. Now it is more exact.

My understanding of Kevlar is that it is stronger but still flexes. A buddy of
mine made a wakeboard of Kevlar and it would flex more than fiberglass, and he
could smack it with a hammer and just bounced off. Carbon is much more
expensive, not as strong as Kevlar, but much, much, lighter and stiffer. Early
carbon would shatter and splinter when stressed. They improved the formula
somehow and re-enforce stress areas more so it is less brittle than before.
They put carbon in sails now.

Chuck
Resolute
1990 C&C 34R