Neil,

In my opinion you are mis-interpreting the YRALIR non-spinnaker regulations.

The regulation is

1.     Pole Length: Whisker poles may not be longer than "LP" without
penalty. Extendable poles must be banded to indicate their maximum
permitted length. Spinnaker poles may be used as whisker poles. When a
competitor declares a LP greater than 135% and a pole of J length, a +6
credit may be claimed. If the declared LP is from 120% to 135% with a J
length pole, +3 credit may be claimed. No credit is available when the
declared LP is less than 120% with a J length pole.

There is no "penalty" for a whisker pole, rather a credit if it is less
then LP.

As to the value of a whisker pole and the size appropriate for the boat, I
raced my Catalina 30 Tall Rig with a forespar 12-22 whisker pole VERY
successfully. Downwind or reaching I regularly passed lower rated boats who
had spinnaker poles for whisker. The farther out you can project the clew
the better. Also for a 32 foot boat I would be concerned with the diameter
of the pole. More is better given the load on the jib.

Best,

Eric
34/36+

"I want 10,000 tough guys, and I want 10,000 soft guys to make the tough
guys look tougher! And here's how I want them arranged: tough, soft, tough,
tough, soft, tough, soft, soft, tough, tough, soft, soft, tough, soft,
tough, soft!"

*Russ Cargill*