Hey folks,

It appears that I have low compression (130psi and 160psi) on 2 cylinders.
During the first start of the season the engine started rough and powered
the boat just long enough to get to the travel lift and then stalled when I
throttled down.  I did not attempt to restart because I was in the lift
well.  Upon relaunch, 5 days later, the engine just won't catch.  It kinda
acts like it wants to, which I assume is the single cylinder that has
enough compression to fire.

An additional symptom was unusually high crankcase pressure as indicated by
the dipstick that ejected from the engine.  A zip-tie was enough to secure
it for the trip to haul-out.

I have ensured fuel and spray pattern.  Changed and cleaned injectors.
Tried starting fluid.  Attempted to use hot air at the air intake.
Cleaned/removed air cleaner.  Checked valve lash/operation.  Checked
exhause elbow.  Checked compression.

Stuck rings seem to be the most common diagnosis.  Any thoughts or
suggestions would be appreciated.

I think the bigger decision for me and the question for y'all is, what
should I do from here.  Rebuild?  Replace?  If I replace should I modernize
or stick with a remanufactured 3HM35?  If I modernize, should I stick with
30hp or go for something bigger.  I fear that anything other than a 3HM35F
will cause delays due to configuration and fit.  Is it worth it or is that
fear unfounded?  If I rebuild should I do it myself?  I fear a long
turnaround and more delays.

As you can probably tell I am leaning towards replacing with a
remanufactured 3HM35F but I also don't want to miss other opportunities.

Thanks,

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+